If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Kickback Day

Yesterday's data collection did not go very well. I had 11 dyads signed up and only 1 showed. Definitely my worst turnout yet. However it did mean that I finished early and I decided to hightail it over to the local grocery store and fill out house with goodies for our kickback day.

Today we slept until 11 and then b got up to make the promised waffles and eggs. I stayed in bed catching up on blogs. Breakfast was scrumptious but then it was back to bed for b and me (Angel decided to play his computer game)--me to read and b to surf the web. I've started a new book. It is not on my summer list but when I went looking for the two books by this author that are on the list, I found this. So far its pretty good but lately I keep reading that her early work is much better.

b eventually got up to go play video games with Angel and I caught up on a new favorite show on Hulu. Most of the day continued in that fashion until b and I decided to get up and start cooking. He grilled a massive amount of meat (burgers, chicken & sausage), corn on the cob, and pineapple. I made veggies for days--roasted red peppers in balsamic & garlic dressing; a roasted medley of eggplant, portabella mushroom, zucchini, pepper, and onion; and stir-fry broccoli with snow peas, water chestnuts, onion, scallion, garlic & ginger. I also decided to finally try making won tons. I made a tofu, scallion and asparagus filling and tried them steamed and fried. All was delicious and we have leftovers for the week.

Now I'm back in bed with a Guinness while the guys continue to play video/computer games in the other room. In about an hour it will be time for the season finale of Survivor. I have a ton of cookies leftover from the failed data collection (yes I feed my participants) to get us through the evening. When it is all over I plan to waddle off to bed for a full night's rest. I'll be starting my summer break with a 10 am budget crisis meeting Monday morning.

3 comments:

Julie said...

It sounds like a great day, especially the food and Guiness:) I'm glad you had a chance to rest and read. A budget crisis meeting on a Monday morning sounds rough. There are too many of those nowadays. I hope it didn't bring any bad news. Thinking of you!

Annie said...

A Kickback Day is wonderful, and much needed. And the veggies sound delicious!

Annie said...

Hi Brigindo, I just followed your link to Sheri Tepper's book, The Margarets, which has excellent reviews. I hope you'll post about whether you liked it. I should probably try some of her books again, or re-read those I enjoyed in the past. I think I just got the wrong one when I stopped reading her, possibly part of her Necromancer series, but I didn't realize it, and the concepts were too disturbing to continue reading the book.